Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hard drive experiment

FYI -- different hard drive manufacturers don't always have interchangeable parts.

I took the platters out of a Western Digital IDE drive, then I took the platters out of an IBM SCSI drive and put them in the WD. After I screwed everything back together, I realized that I probably voided the warranty because the seals were broken (Oh well, the drives were pretty old, so I doubt there was any warranty left). By the way, I didn't do this in a clean room or wear any gloves, either.

Anyway, I put it back together (sort of) and powered it up. Guess what? ...

It didn't work. The drive made a high-pitched beeping noise. The good news is that it didn't explode, causing the plates to fly out and injury my fellow coworkers -- thank goodness.

I'm not sure if if the hard drives worked before I started doing this, but they sure don't work now. Maybe I'll try it again with two other drives that I know work. If there's one thing about working on computers I've learned, it's this: don't give up easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home