Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Software Key Deletion -- How to recover

I'm not going to go over every step, so that you don't get tempted to try to delete the Software key. I don't want you to think, "Hey, I can delete it because this guy's going to show me how to recover."

Just so you know, there will probably be a few small things that won't work quite right, but they are very minor things. The recovery is based upon Window's Restore points (I think); so if there are none, I don't know if you could recover the registry (or at least very easily). That being said, I'll continue.

In the System Volume Information folder on the root of the hard drive are snapshots, which I would describe as restore points (but I don't know if they actually are). In order to access those directories, you will have to slave the hard drive in another computer. Then you can copy over the five registry hives to the WINDOWS\System32\Config (after renaming the existing ones, of course) on that slaved drive.

Then put the drive back in it's computer and boot up. There you go. Now don't say I never taught you anything. Of course, maybe I didn't, since these steps come courtesy of someone I work with, Gubi; so I suppose he taught you, albeit indirectly. So, the only thing I've ever taught you was that it is not so bright of an idea to delete the Software key, even after exporting it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home